Developing Friendship with Jesus
Scripture: John 15: 12- 15 (KJV)
Love provides the foundation for friendship… when you believe a friend you want to do anything for them – Proverb 17: 17 (NKJV); Hebrew 10: 24 (NKJV).
Our ability to remain in a trusted friendship with Jesus is underpinned by our ability to obey him – James 4:4[Note] An inability to form a destiny enhanced relationship with Jesus, will bring crisis.
Jesus called us friends John 1: 12 (NKJV).
[Note] You cannot understand how God can be your friends without first understand the concept of friendship.
What is a friend?
- A friend is a person with whom you have a bond of mutual affection. When you are around them, you feel connected to them. The principle of friendship is also found in Amos 3:3 (NKJV). “Can two walk together, except they be agreed?” Friends are of like mind.
- A friend is someone you think your life would be different if they did not exist. Proverbs 27:17 (ESV)
- A friend is there for you no matter what. Naomi and Ruth – Ruth 1: 14 – In Ruth and Naomi’s case, Ruth’s love is clearly expressed in that she wants to stay by Naomi’s side forever.
- Williams Shakespeare – a friend is someone that knows you as you are, understand where you have been, accept what you have become, and still gently allow you to grow.
[Note] David and Jonathan – 1 Samuel 18: 1-4 (NKJV) – true friendship was expressed by Jonathan, who apart from saving David’s life, allow him to fulfil his destiny as the next chosen King of Israel.
- Joannah Fuchs – A friend is someone always there at the back of your mind, providing feelings of comfort and security.
Friendship is an important element in a fulfilled and contented life. This means our happiness and success largely depend on the relationships we build with others – Ecclesiastic 4: 9 (KJV).
[Note] Friendship is not about who you have known the longest; it is about who came and never left your side – Proverb 18: 24 (NKJV).
The whole story of the Bible is about God longing to have a personal friendship with human beings.
For example in Exodus 33:11, the Lord spoke to Moses face to face, as a man speaks to his friend.
In James 2:23, Abraham was called a friend of God.
In John 15:15, Jesus said to His disciples: “I have called you friends.”
In Luke 7:34, Jesus was called the friend of sinners!
Jesus is the pure example of a true friend, for He laid down His life for His friends.
Jesus craves for fellowship with men – John 3:16; Philippians 3:10 (KJV)
Jesus was appointed and commissioned by God to befriend you. Act 10: 38 (KJV).
When you have Jesus as your friend it means you are under divine coverage – Psalm 91: 1-2 (KJV)
Why your friendship with Jesus matters?
- Forming a friendship with Jesus will lead to your salvation – John 14: 6 (KJV); John 3: 17-18.
[Note] Becoming a friend of Jesus means you are enrolled into his plan of salvation. Anyone who does not know him is doomed.
- Your destiny is defined by the nature and quality of your relationship with Christ. John 15: 5-7 (KJV).
- Being a friend with Jesus is everything – forgiveness of sin, peace, healing, restoration, transformation, signs and wonders, answer to prayers, favour, mercy, revelation, anointing and power.
- You cannot access divine covenant without being his friends – Psalm 25:14 (NLT).
How to Develop a Friendship with Jesus?
1. You must develop your prayer life. Your friendship to Christ is demonstrated in your prayer life.
Prayer is a communication process that allows us to talk to God. Pro 16:1; Heb 4:16[Note] Prayer is powerful and so important that believers who pray less receive less from God.
Prayer helps us to connect to the Spirit.[Note] Your attitude to prayer determines the quality of your friendship with Jesus –Isa 65:24
- You can develop a friendship with Jesus by study the Word of God. John 15:7
It is vital for all children to lean on the word of God, because, the word of God is pure (Psalm 12:6; 119:140); it is tried (Psalm 12:6); it is right (Psalm 33:4); it creates (Psalm 33:6); it is heals (Psalm 107:20); it quickens (Psalm 119:25, 50 &154); John 6:63.
The word of God is eternal (Psalm 119: 89); it is sweet Psalm 119:103; it is a lamp to the feet (Psalm 119:105); The word of God is true (Psalm 119: 160); It controls (Psalm 147:18).
The study of the word of God is a divine command – Joshua 1:8 (KJV).
- You can decide to build a friendship with Jesus by abiding in His love.
Love is an act of caring for one another. Loving is to have a great affection, devotion, loyalty, admiration for someone – 1John 4:20 (NLT).
It is mandatory for children of God to love others – John 13:34 (NLT); Rom 12:9-10,
The perfect example of this love was lived out in the life of Jesus Christ – 1John 4:19.
God demonstrated love more fully then any man is capable – 1 John 4:10.
In order to love, your heart must first be pure – 1 Tim 1:5
To love means we must first have a pure heart, filled with the love of Christ.
Father, draw nearer to you this morning.
January 31, 2019