Scripture: Jeremiah 31: 31-33 [NLT]
Our God is a God of Covenant, who moves by covenant, who also reveals himself by covenant.[Say to your neighbour] My God is a God of covenant and he moves by covenant. By the power of his covenant, He will reveal himself to you this month, in the name of Jesus.
God relates with his children by covenant – Psalm 89:34 (NLT). We are children of God by covenant. We are heir of the Father by covenant. We walk with God by covenant. Without the coverage of covenant, we are in mess. Without his covenant, we are in crisis – John 15: 5.
His covenant means that we have life. Hebrew 13:20 (NKJV).
His covenant means that there is hope. Hebrew 6:17-18 (ESV).
What is a Covenant?
Covenant means an agreement.
Covenant is an agreement between God and man, initiated by God. God chooses to reach out to man and offer him an agreement.
God has entered into covenants with numbers of people throughout the history of mankind.
- In Genesis 2:15-17 (NIV) God made covenant with Adam;
God’s covenant to Adam was connected to life. The condition was perfect obedience. Its penalty was death.
- In Genesis 6: 18 God said to Noah, “I will establish my covenant with you.”
God consolidated his covenant with Noah in Genesis 9: 9-17 (NASV) when he pledged never again to destroy the world with a flood. God gave the rainbow as a sign.
- In Genesis 12, Genesis 15: 8-18, and Genesis 17: 9, and 14, God promised Abraham his descendant a land and commanded him to keep the covenant.
As mark of sign of the covenant made with Abraham, God changed his names and gave him, circumcision as the sign of the covenant made with him.
- In Genesis 26: 2-3, God entered into a covenant with Isaac – Genesis 26: 2-3 (AMP)
- The Lord reconfirmed his covenant with Jacob – Genesis 28: 13-15 (AMP)
- In Psalm Psalm 89:3-4, God summarized his covenant with David. God gave a promise to David that his descendants should have an everlasting kingdom and be known as his sons. The fulfillment of God’s covenant was that through the descendants of David that our Lord Jesus was born.
In the bible we speak of old and new covenant.
What was the “old covenant”?
The “old covenant” originated from the promises that God made to Abraham, which He reaffirmed to Isaac and Jacob.
There are some important elements of the old covenant:
- The old covenant focused extremely on conformity to the law without which there a heavy price.
- Within the old covenant access to God is purely through intermediaries. God was wholly separate from mankind.
- The blood of animals used as a picture of the cost of forgiveness. Heb. 9:22 (NLT) without the shedding of blood, there is no forgiveness of sins. Forgiveness was secured through the blood of animals offered by people to God at the tabernacle. Though sacrifices were offered daily, there was still the continuing problem of slavery to sin.
- Under the old law, salvation dependent upon obedience to the law – Exodus 19:5.
In other words, the old covenant was not secure. It depended upon one’s level of obedience to the demands of the law.
However, in Jeremiah 31: 31-33 God made a big decision to enter into a new covenant of salvation through his son Jesus Christ.
Romans 5: 8 (NKJV)
The covenant of salvation is activated the moment we come to term with our sinful life and repent them and receive Jesus into our lives – John 1: 12 (KJV); 1 Peter 2: 9-10 (NKJV)
If you want to experience the power of God, you will have to understand the nature of his covenant with you and move with it.
God’s covenant will demand deeper relationship and deeper fellowship with him – Genesis 17: 1-2 (NKJV).
It is the will of God for you to form part of the new covenant. God is seeking to raise children who will be under the coverage of his covenant.
The alternative to be without his covenant is destruction.
Anyone who is not under the coverage of the new covenant is hell bound.
Any who died who without entering his new covenant will face judgment.
Today God is asking you to enter into his new covenant.
What difference does the “new covenant” make to me?
- It means God will change us from within through the help of the Holy Spirit. (Rather than my attempting to change myself to meet His standards [the law]).
Galatians 2: 20 (NKJV)
The good news of the New Covenant is that we no longer have to try and improve ourselves. The Holy Spirit provides power to lead exceptional holy life.
But, now that the New Covenant has been established through Jesus – We are promised that God will change us from within. He will write His word on my heart. He will fill us with His very presence in His Holy Spirit.
- It means we have full and direct access to God’s presence (both now and for eternity). We no longer need a middle man.
Hebrew 4:16 (NKJV)
Revelation 1: 6 (NKJV)
- It means we have been liberated from bondage to sin. Hebrews 9:15.
How to key into the New Covenant?
- You must be a child of God. The new covenant covers only the child of God. For God covenant to be effective in Abraham, God gave him specific instruction in Genesis 17: 1-2 (AMP)
The instructions that God gave to Abraham is consistent with Psalm 1:1-3 (AMP);
You cannot walk with God in your terms. It has to be in His terms.
- The covenant of God is covenant that can only be entered into by Faith Hebrew 11: 6 (KJV).
- You must live a holy and righteous life. Your life must be controlled by the Holy Spirit.
- Father, wherever, I have wandered out of your covenant, take me back today in the name of Jesus.
- I enter into a new covenant with Christ, therefore, thou hindrance between me and my God, get out of my way in the name of Jesus. Flesh get, besetting sin get out, confusion get out,
Developing Friendship with Jesus
January 31, 2019